Fire appears to be a permanent menace for the workers of the Garments Industries. Between 2006 and 2009, at least 213 fires have occurred killing more than 400 workers.
The recent incidents of fires and the resulting deaths have raised a disturbing question: is there no cure for this lethal, ever-continuing series of disasters?
The answer lies in the science of fire and the books of law. Since fire was discovered, the means of fire prevention and fire fighting was also explored, resulting in a well-researched empirical science of fire prevention.
World-wide, legal frame-works have been made in order to discipline various entities so that they stick to parameters that are best for prevention of fire.
In Bangladesh there are no exhaustive fire prevention rules available. However there are enough materials in the legislative frame-work that can play a good role in prevention of fire. One of these codes is the Bangladesh National Building Code 2006.
The reason fire go rampant and kill so many people are manifold but few of the central issues are as below:
01. Inadequate construction of buildings.
02. Inadequate Risk Assessment
03. Inadequate safety of the electrical system.
04. Bad management of the buildings and factories.
05. Very poor Emergency and Contingency Planning
06. Fire drills that are not realistic and are ineffective.
07. Lack of personnel competency in using the fire preventive and fighting appliances.
08. Overall negligent approach to the risk.
Proper knowledge and awareness can improve the situation a lot by stimulating the management capabilities and thereby reducing the base-risk.
Workshop topics to be covered:
The course addresses following vital issues that are directly responsible for fire going beyond control:
(01) Chemistry of Fire
(02) The Art of Extinguishing Fire.
(03) Fire Safety Incorporated in Buildings and Structures
(04) Early Warning System.
(05) Fire Fighting Appliances – Extinguishers, Hydrants, Sprinklers, Total Flooding.
(06) Emergency Response, Evacuation, Fighting.
(07) Electrical Hazards Leading to Fire.
(08) Organizing Buildings and Industries for Prevention of Fire.
(09) Fire Drills and Evaluations, Improvement.
The course will use multimedia presentation, open discussions, practical audit approach to fire risk, and a brief description of the deployment and management of FFAs (Fire Fighting Appliances).
The course will also highlight the salient points of Fire Drills and Training of the workers on Fire Fighting.