L/C Procedures for Import & Export with Practical Exercise
|Held on : 30 January - 01 February 2012|
|Venue : BDBL Building, 14th Level, 12 Kawran Bazar C/A, Dhaka-1215.|
|No. of Participants : 25|
|No photos found|
|Session – 1
• An overview on International Trade
• International Trade Payment Methods: Cash in advance; Open account; Collection; Documentary Credit (also known as Letter of Credit)
Incoterms 2000: An overview
Salient features of Import Policy Order (IPO) in force
Imports without opening of L/C
• Bill of Exchange (Draft) - (a) Sight bill of exchange & (b) Usance bill of exchange
Session – 2
• What does a collection mean?
• Meaning of documents
• Basis of payment: D/P,D/A
• Handling of collection: Clean Collection and Documentary Collection
• What are the documents handled under collection?
• Uniform Rules for Collection (URC) ICC Publication No.522
• Documentary Draft Transaction/collection procedure
• Risks those are inherent under collection/contract procedure.
• How Exporters May be Protected against Exports under Contract Procedure?
Session – 3
• Introducing Letter of Credit:
• Definition of Documentary Credit /Other definitions (as per Article -2 of UCPDC)
• Parties involved in Documentary Credit Operation: Applicant; Beneficiary; L/C Issuing Bank; Advising Bank; Nominated Bank; Confirming Bank; Negotiating Bank; Claiming Bank; Reimbursing Bank
Types of Letter of Credit:
Sight Payment Credit; Acceptance Credit; Deferred Payment Credit; Negotiation Credit; Unconfirmed Letter of Credit, Confirmed Letter of Credit; With recourse credit, Without recourse credit; Transferable Credit, Back to Back Letter of Credit; Red Clause Letter of Credit; Green Clause Letter of Credit and Standby Letter of Credit.
• How does a Letter of Credit (L/C) Operate? Complete procedure for imports into Bangladesh through opening L/C
• Advising of Credits and Amendments (Article - 9)
• Amendments (Article -10)
• Nomination (Artilce-12); Functions of Nominated Bank
Session – 4
• Complete procedure for Export from Bangladesh
• Documents Used in Documentary Credit Operation (Article 18 – 28)
• Examination of Documents (Article-14)
• Discrepant Documents, Waiver and Notice (Article-16)
• Disputes and Settlements of Disputes
• Practical Exercise on L/C
• Familiarizing with Forms/Documents that are necessary for opening of L/C (such as, L/C Application Form; LCA Form; IMP Form; Proforma Invoice (PI)/Indent; Insurance Cover Note/Policy and, any other forms/documents if required, as per Import Policy Order (i.e. IPO) and their uses/ implications
• Case Studies
• Open Discussion
|Md. Azhar Ali Miah
Mr. Azhar has more than 34 years of diversified experience in banking profession. He worked as the Executive Vice President, Bank Asia Limited, Corporate Office, Dhaka. He has retired from the services of the Bank in 2011. Prior to joining Bank Asia Limited, he worked at Agrani Bank in various capacities, particularly, as the Manager of Authorised Dealer (AD) Branches, Head of Foreign Exchange Department/Trade Finance Department of Corporate Branches, Dhaka and Assistant General Manager, International Division, Head Office, Dhaka. He attended different training courses/workshops on Documentary Credit Operation/International Trade at home and in abroad.
He has earned reputation as a successful trainer in the banking arena. As a trainer, he has been conducting training programs and workshops at Bdjobs Training, DCCI Business Institute (DBI), for long, in addition to Training Institutes of different Banks including BIBM on Trade Finance, UCPDC and Other Banking Subjects.